I am an expert in development in areas affected by disaster, conflict or fragility, with a special focus on aid-society relations: the impact of humanitarian aid on society and the ways in which people and institutions shape the organisation of aid relations.
- Special chair humanitarian aid and reconstruction, International Institute of Social Studies, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- President of the International Humanitarian Studies Association
- Honorary Director of Creged – Centre de Recherche et d’Expertise en Genre et Développement
- 2006-2017 – Special chair humanitarian aid and reconstruction, Wageningen University
Click here for other academic work I have done.
Non-academic focus areas
- Flying habits of myself and other development academics and practitioners and how we can address our problematic flying behaviour.
– Blog: It’s time for flying to become the new smoking.
– See our public letter: Klimaatbrief Universiteiten
- Mobbing in the workplace and what we can do to stop it
– Blog on Joop.bnnvara.nl (Dutch): Stop de sociale jachtpartij die pesten heet
– Op-Ed on Sublime: Thea Hilhorst: “Ik ben weggepest bij mijn werk”
– TV appearance NPO Max – Pesten op het werk aangepakt?